Monday, June 16, 2008

Physiology


After you cut up a few cats, anatomy becomes shapes and designs and mechanisms, not gore. I was surprised, when I had my hand mutilating accident, that I was so thoroughly disgusted. The former student of anatomy and physiology me would have touched and watched and learned, but the current me could no longer hold that appreciation. Maybe I took it too personally. This piece explores the incredibly functional and elegant structures of the body. If you don’t know what your inner ear looks like, look it up. Possibly the most valuable lesson I learned at school was that although our bodies seem to magically work, their mechanics are completely explainable. You may, if you wish, know this profound secret, and there is so much god in it your cranium nearly bursts.

No comments: